Saturday, April 3, 2010

Healthy Breakfast!


It's no secret that we love steel cut oats in this house. And anyway, we don't keep secrets in this house. Outside the house, maybe. But inside, NO WAY! :) Steel cut oats (or grouts) are thicker and heartier than rolled cut oats. This is because they are cut in a few pieces rather than rolled. They also may have a lower glycemic index than instant oatmeal which means they probably cause a smaller spike in insulin levels. They can get a little expensive so I buy them in bulk at our local health food store.

I like to make a huge batch of them in the slow cooker so we have them on hand for a quick, healthy breakfast everyday. I like to mix them with barley and lately, sweet rice (a suggestion from my sister). Here's what I do:

Ingredients:
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats
1 Cup Barley
1 Cup Sweet Rice
10 Cups Water
3-4 tbsps of fat (I like to use organic virgin coconut oil)
1 tsp of salt

Put all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir before serving. I like to add fresh apples, bananas, and raisins to mine but go ahead and add your favorite stuff and enjoy! And don't keep secrets! Especially in your house! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment